Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Antigone Review

Sophocles's Antigone left me flabbergasted because of the story's format, because of the word selection, and because of the confusion.

The format of the story was in play form. Personally, I hate trying to read a story and have to see when one character switches to another. The story never seems to flow because of this certain aspect and never really held me in. The book took longer than it should have taken because of this particular format.

Word selection was also hard to comprehend. I understand why Sophocles used the words he did, because those were the words of his particular time frame. I did not like having to go back and forth from looking up words and reading because of his word selection. Word selection also contributed a large part in what took the book a long time for me to finish.

Confusion was the main reason for such a bad review for Antigone. I never could picture the people having their conversations or see what they were doing. I could never distinguish whether the chorus was one person or a group of people or the way Creon felt, either being sarcastic at times or mean at other times. I felt lost and never could really see what was going on until the very end.

I would recommend this book to anyone who likes stories written in play format and are great at staying focused on what is going on. To others, like myself, I would not recommend this book at all.

1 comment:

~caitlin11 said...
This comment has been removed by the author.