Friday, March 13, 2009

Anthem Review

A somewhat entertaining, yet hard to understand read, Anthem is a book I would not recommend. The book was fun, boring, and confusing all at the same time.

The book was a fun read because of how Equality 7-2521 went from one scene to another. He would be just a street sweeper one minute, then he would find a hidden tunnel the next, and lastly he sees the most beautiful woman and talks about her for a long time. He is funny because he refers to himself as "we" instead of "I" and commentates his entire life through this way.

At the same time of being funny, the book was utterly boring. I got tired of reading over and over about "we" and about this girl he calls the Golden One when her name is Liberty 5-3000. Action scenes were not put in the book enough.

The book was a very confusing read. Because of him using the "we" instead of "I", I could not tell if he was talking about himself alone or a group of people. Also, I could not match the names to peoples' faces because they were in number format. Lastly, I could not stand the way he talked about the modern society, because life sounded horrible for him but I wanted to know if it was for the others. Some of the other characters might actually like living such a life.

1 comment:

~caitlin11 said...

Would YOU have liked living in that society? Maybe he talked about the Golden One so much because she was the only bright spot in his dismal life...